1933 Woolworths expands to Victoria
The first Victorian store opened at Bourke Street, Melbourne on 30 November 1933 and variety stores were steadily opened including the acquisition of eight Cox Brothers Department stores in 1967.
The supermarket area acquired further strong growth when a Victorian group of 26 food stores trading as Nancarrows was acquired in June 1969 and a further group of 75 Crofts Food Stores in January 1970.
These stores added to the existing Food Fairs became a composite group of 120 food stores trading as Nancarrows and provided a strong entry into the Victorian market.
Share this page on :